Friday, August 13, 2010

Are we Pakistani only *once* a year?!

I was entering my apartment compound a few days ago when there was a water tanker in front of me and so the procession was slow - a car behind me kept honking throughout and when finally the driver overtook me and parked in front of B block a very hoity toity young girl came out of the back seat. I excused and requested that she ask her driver not to honk at residents within the compound premises and she turns around and says to me with a very strong fake accent, "Why? Everyone else does it." So I still said, "Yes but if everyone is wrong we don't have to be." and she says, "Why?"
To this day I am in shock about these educated fools who call themselves so civilized and elite. I do believe they are the real terrorists destroying Pakistan.
I write here complaining because the very same girl came to my building and asked for money to host a bar-b-q on 14th August yesterday! I was appalled at the short sightedness of people. The United Nations is giving out statements saying, these floods are worse than the earthquake of 2005 and the tsunami put together and the woman wanted to collect money for a bbq!
I ask - what is the point of celebrating an independence day when we are slaves to our own moronic-ness? All year round Pakistan is the worst country to live in and the people here are the worst - but on 14th August everyone is a patriot. As much as I appreciate that sentiment and the thought that there is still something holding this country together, I am very sad to say that it is not the lower class of this country which makes it backward - it is people like us who don't even have our priorities straight. We are living in limbo in a world only made for us, pointing fingers at each other and not realizing where we might be wrong. There is no sense of loyalty or humbleness left in us. We are selfish cowardly people, living life as if we will live forever.
Wearing our national dress or colours is not going to make us better Pakistanis, nor will it be anything more than yet another excuse to party.
I remember my childhood years in school, I think every boy in our class wanted to be a part of our armed forces. They wanted to make a difference. Today I don't see any of them serving the nation but at least they had shown an interest. I asked my 12 year old nephew the other day how is new school is treating him and his answer was great! glad I left the other school because this girl obsessed with me was spreading rumors about us. I was shocked. What has happened to our youth? Why are the kids growing up so quickly in all the wrong departments? Where has the innocence gone?
Are we really just Pakistani once a year? Where does our patriotism go all year round? Where are the national songs and colours throughout the year? Because I honestly remember a friend describing someone wearing a really cheap green jora at a mehndi - which describing she said, "yaar that ganda Pakistan green!" Yes I am associated with such people and probably am one of these people. But I want to speak out and say that yes I have been wrong and I don't want to be Pakistani only on 14th August. I want to be a good citizen all year round. I want to be considerate and law abiding and yes it is hard when people around me are not on the same page - but I do believe it is worth the effort. Each individual in his or her own right can help build a better Pakistan. Our youth can still be trained to care and not grow up heartless and cold. Lets work towards making ourselves better people. Lets work on us before anything else.

3 comments:

  1. Loved it. Very well written. Also, smack that stoopid girl next time. Weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!
    @ Emm Jay - i do want to... atleast wana egg her car!!

    ReplyDelete